Online Medical Assistant Program
This is an instructor-led course that is offered 100% ONLINE. Students will also complete 120 hours of clinical externship allowing them to apply the lecture topics and lab hands-on skills in practical use when placed in a healthcare facility.
The curriculum provides students with the technical, clinical, and interpersonal skills necessary to succeed in the medical assisting field. Upon completion of the program, a certificate is awarded and students may test for certification Excluding holidays, this course is a 12-week course. This course also includes the national exam through MedCA. The certification exam must be proctored in the city where the student lives. The fee for the test is $139.
The clinical externship includes student placement in a facility that performs various types of skills and provides exposure to theory concepts and an opportunity for hands-on practice. The externship will provide an opportunity for students to assist facility staff with daily duties in the front and back office under staff supervision. This marks the point of transition from being a student to becoming a medical assistant. The externship serves as a practicum without pay to help students apply learned classroom skills. Students will have a variety of tasks to perform and to document for verification purposes. Daily attendance and performance at the site is verification by facility personnel.
Students will have access to lecture PowerPoints, Interactive Videos, Resources, Program Assignments, Module Test, and 24/7 helpdesk assistance for CANVAS.
The Complete Medical Assistant
Janet R. Sesser; Deborah L. Westervelt
- Complete, submit and agree to terms in the “Application for Enrollment”.
- Provide ID and Social Security Card.
- Consent to submit to a criminal background check and drug screen. (a felony may constitute disqualification)
- Negative PPD/TBT Skin Test or Negative Chest x-ray (must be within 6 months).
- Current Immunization Records
- High School Diploma/ GED
- Registration and Minimum Deposit –required for each program (see fee schedule for details)
Tuition and Fees
- Tuition: $1700
- Application Fee: $50 (NON-REFUNDABLE)
- Background Check: $35
- Student Badge: $15
- MedCA Certification Exam: $139
Application Fee: Fifty Dollars $50.00 (Non-Refundable)
Online Medical Assistant Program Training Fees: $1,800.00 (see Tuition and Fees above for fee breakdown)
Two Payment Plans I & II:
Plan I: One Thousand Eight Hundred Dollars ($1,800.00) paid in full before class begins;
Plan II: One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) down payment before class begins and Four Hundred Twenty Five Dollars ($425) per module. (4 Modules)
(HHCC does not accept personal checks. All payments will be required to be paid in cash, money order or credit card.)
For students who choose Payment Plan II – When registering for the Online Medical Assistant Program for the first time, students are expected to pay the Application Fee, Background Check, and Student Badge. The remaining balance will be paid before the start of each module. Once your module payment has been received, your module will be unlocked.
Checks will not be accepted. Certificates of Completion will be given after the student has completed their clinical externship. The MedCA Certification exam will be scheduled within 10 days of program completion and on receipt of certification of completion from Heritage Health Career Center, Inc. The Exam is $139. Re-testing fees and test rescheduling are the student’s responsibility.
Program Acceptance Standards
To be accepted into Heritage Health Career Center’s (HHCC) program, each applicant must understand and meet the following program acceptance standards and verify such by signing this ENROLLMENT APPLICATION. Failure to meet and accept these standards will result in an admission denial:
Applicant must be physically able to bend, kneel and lift.
Applicant must be able to communicate clearly using the English language due to its exclusive use by the instructors and its predominant use by medical terms and medical facilities. This includes the ability to understand written and spoken English plus the ability to speak clearly, to be clearly understood, to read written English and to write clearly using the English language. All aspects of the HHCC use ONLY the English language for all communications, including the textbooks.
Applicant must be able to work and interact competently with other people.
Applicant must be legally eligible to work or train in the United States and must possess a valid social security number.
Applicant must not test positive for tuberculosis or Hepatitis B.
Applicant must have NO felony or misdemeanor in ANY state involving ANY sex-related crimes or ANY crimes related to: murder, attempted murder, assault, battery, kidnapping, abduction of a minor, aggravated menacing, aggravated robbery, grand theft, patient abuse ,patient neglect, Medicaid fraud, insurance fraud or ANY convictions involving the abuse, neglect, or harassment of a minor or an elderly person. ANY convictions involving methamphetamine will also result in an admission denial.
Goals of the Program
- Prepare the student to work as a Medical Assistant in a variety of health care settings such as hospitals, clinics, doctors’ offices, mobile services, etc.
- Acquire a basic working knowledge of medical terminology.
- Become familiar and learn the basic structure, functions, and interaction of each body system.
- Discuss the pathway from patient contact through the diagnosis, treatment, follow-up and financial aspects of medical care.
- Demonstrate the strict safety standards needed to protect self, patients, employees, and employers.
- Explain the legal, cultural and ethical issues and regulations within healthcare.
- Perform all clinical duties expected of a clinical Medical Assistant.